Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Atlanta Artist, Jill Saur


atlanta artist
Atlanta Artist, Jill Saur

Artist Statement
My artwork is a natural outpouring of my encounter with God and His majestic creation, resulting in paintings that are dramatic, uplifting, and full of life!  It brings me great joy to share my art with those who collect my work!
My tagline is “joy on canvas”.  It was given to me by Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman, the Incredible Hulk and numerous other super heroes. When asked to describe my work in just three to five words, Stan’s response was, “Joy on canvas”, because according to him, my work exudes sheer joy”.  
 INFLUENCE
American Artists, Andrew WyethWinslow Homer, and Georgia O'keeffe, influenced my early years of painting in watercolor.  Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Cezanne have deeply influenced my oil and acrylic paintings today.  With brushes, paint and canvas, Van Gogh especially inspires my whimsical lines and my desire to bring my trees and other subject matter to life!

PROCESS
I start every painting with gesture drawings before sketching my final drawing on canvas.  After carefully choosing and mixing my colors, I'm ready to paint.  By building up layers of transparent hues, I'm able to capture an illuminating glow in my work.  I also use an impasto style that I developed over twenty years ago. The richly textured paint, seemingly brings my trees and flowers to life!  My clients tell me they feel as though they can just walk into one of my landscapes, or reach out and pluck a petal from one of my flower paintings!  That makes me smile!     Jill Saur's Art