Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Never, never, never give up"! - Winston Churchill

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for". – Georgia O’Keeffe

This commission, “Hawaiian Splendor” is a 36”x48” acrylic on canvas.  I re-painted the ocean at least three times before I was happy with the results.

For me, there are three types of paintings that turn out well.

1.  The first type is the painting that flows effortlessly like a fine tuned symphony producing beautiful music.  I suppose it's like catching that "perfect wave" and riding it all the way to the shore.  I never give up!

2.  The second painting is the one that I wrestle with, painting certain areas again and again.  Actually, the ones I struggle with lead to new discoveries and results that surprise me.  They afford an opportunity for growth.  This struggle reminds me of the grain of sand in the oyster.  The oyster takes the discomfort and spins a beautiful pearl.  I never give up!

3.  The third painting is the one that I have no idea how to do.  I pray, asking God, the ultimate Creator, to show me what to do and to guide my brushes.  The exhilarating part is getting the answer and finding myself doing things with the paint that I've never done before. That’s why I never turn down commissions, they throw me out of my “comfort zone” and that’s where the magic happens!  I never give up!

Sometimes, I think I must be related to Winston Churchill because for better or worse,  I never, never, never give up! -  © 2012 Jill Saur

My website:  CLICK HERE


©1990-2012 Hawaiian Painting by Jill Saur, all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment.