Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Andrew Wyeth

Andrew Wyeth is one of the most revered American artists and is certainly one of my favorites!  I had hoped to meet him before he passed away, but the opportunity did not present itself.

I have read a number of biographies on this disciplined, talented and mysterious man.  When I was in art school, I wrote a paper on him and delivered an oral presentation to a group of students who had no idea 
of the genius of this man.  

I am most impressed by Andrew Wyeth's early life and artistic discipline as a young boy, when he would draw from real life, and study with his father, N.C. Wyeth,  a well-known illustrator.  Andrew and his father would roam the fields and bring in the bones and carcasses of deceased wild animals for Andrew to study and draw.

I love that Andrew Wyeth puts so much feeling into his work, and it shows with his brilliant imagery, texture, and subject matter.  Andrew Wyeth was given free reign to enter his neighbors homes and paint them even while they were asleep!  One of my favorite paintings is the third one below.  Andrew captured a long time friend while he was asleep, and it is fraught with feeling!

I will never forget one of Andrew Wyeth's practices.  He didn't show his work to anyone before it was completed because he felt he would lose the power with which he painted it.  Andrew didn't want to be more concerned about someones reaction than his own intentions.  

Though my work is entirely different than Andrew Wyeth, he has forever impacted me as an artist.  I never start a new endeavor without feeling a passion for what I am painting.  I think about what I want to convey and I put all that I have into it.

I am thankful for the life of this man and the legacy he has left behind.  - Jill Saur

My Website:  CLICK HERE


"Christina's World" by Andrew Wyeth

"Helga" by Andrew Wyeth

Andrew Wyeth's Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment.